Need some free safety meeting topics?
Proper Lifting Techniques
Proper Lifting Techniques Free Tailgate Safety Meeting Topic
2023 Labor Law Poster (English)Product on sale
Heat Illness Prevention PlanProduct on sale
Injury/Illness Prevention Program (IIPP)Product on sale
Proper lifting techniques are important for preventing injuries and strain on the body. When lifting a heavy object, it is important to use your legs to lift, rather than your back. This helps to distribute the weight evenly and reduce strain on your back muscles.
Here are some additional tips for proper lifting techniques:
- Before lifting the object, assess its weight and size to determine if you are capable of lifting it safely.
- If the object is too heavy or awkward to lift on your own, ask for help.
- Stand close to the object, with your feet shoulder-width apart and your feet facing the direction you will be lifting the object.
- Bend at the knees and hips, keeping your back straight.
- Grasp the object securely with both hands, using a grip that feels comfortable and stable.
- As you lift the object, keep it close to your body and avoid twisting or bending your back.
- When carrying the object, hold it close to your body and keep your arms close to your sides.
- Avoid carrying the object for long periods of time. If you need to walk a long distance with the object, take frequent breaks to rest and adjust your grip.
Remember, it is always better to ask for help when lifting heavy objects, rather than trying to lift it on your own and risking injury.
Here is another good resource for safe lifting.
We offer a great safety poster on safe lifting for your workplace.