Need some free safety meeting topics?
Permit-Required Confined Space Safety Free Tailgate Safety Meeting Topic
Confined spaces can be very dangerous places. They should never be entered without following strict safety procedures that can be found in your company’s Permit-Required Confined Space Entry Plan. A confined space is an area that is large enough for a person to fully enter, has restricted means of entry and exit, and is not designed for continuous human occupancy.
A permit-required confined space (or “permit space”) is a confined space that has one or more of the following characteristics:
- Contains or has the potential to contain a hazardous atmosphere.
- Contains a material that has the potential to engulf an entrant.
- Has an internal configuration that could trap or asphyxiate an entrant.
- Contains any other recognized serious safety or health hazard.
In order to work safely in a permit space, employers must follow specific procedures to ensure the safety of their employees. These procedures typically include:
- Evaluating the space to determine if it is a permit-required confined spaceIdentifying and evaluating the hazards present in the space.
- Developing and implementing procedures for safely entering and working in the space.
- Providing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and training for employees who will be working in the space.
- Establishing an effective means of communication between workers in the space and those outside the space.
- Providing appropriate ventilation, lighting, and other equipment necessary for safe entry and work in the space.
- Ensuring that the space is continuously monitored for hazards during the entire time that workers are inside.
- Establishing an effective rescue plan in case of an emergency
It is important for employers to carefully follow these procedures to ensure the safety of their workers. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death. Never enter a confined space without following the procedures required by your employer. If you are not trained on confined space entry procedures, you should not be involved at all!
Posting a Confined Space Safety Poster in your workplace can help remind employees of the importance of following safe entry procedures.
To learn more about permit-required confined space safety, OSHA has excellent resources.